Dental amalgam is an alloy of mercury, silver, tin, and copper. Dental amalgam has evolved for more than 100 years.
Advantages of Dental Amalgam
- Less expensive than white fillings
- Last longer
- High compressive strength
- Corrosion sealing the microleakage around the fillings
- Less technique senstive
Disadvantages of Dental Amalgam
- Silver in color
- Lacks adhesiveness
- Needs enough thickness of amalgam filling to prevent fracture of the filling
- Needs extra preparation of tooth for retention
- Takes 24 hours to set permanently
Schedule an appointment at Healthy Smiles today by calling (860) 595-3903.